A blog about Tenerife, Linedancing, Food, Shopping etc.

.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Flower nursing

The flowers I bought at Alcampo

It's Saturday night and we are back from our shopping trip to Alcampo and Ikea.
We found a lot of stuff to buy. Clothes, two tables, a big quilt etc... and the back seat of the car looked like a jungle when we drove home, because I bought some flowers for the ballcony at Alcampo and two of them are really big.
I don't know how people get the flowers to survive. My flowers always die after 3-6 months.
First they start looking yellow and then they loose their leaves. Maybe they don't get water enough?! Now I have promissed myself to water them every day to be sure they don't pass away.
My mam used to call me almost everyday before when I stayed home with the children. Then she always asked me if the flowers have got any water. And when she came to visit she walked around in the house and put her forefinger into the pots to check out that the soil wasn't dry or too wet. She's very good in taking care of flowers and I wish she would live closer so that she could give me a piece of good advice.
It shouldn't be difficult to grow flowers on Tenerife, but for me it just doesn't work.
I heard from a friend here that you can take a flower from a plant and let it dry and then put it into the soil and you will get a new plant. And I tried it. And I really looked after it and gave it the water it needed and after some weeks a new plant started groving . What a surprise it was for me! I was so proud!
But one day our friends Ray and Debbie visited and they asked `what kind of flower have you got in that pot?´ And they started laughing and told me it was a weed. And they said they can bring me many if I want when there's thousands of them out in the fields.
But I didn't throw away the plant before it had been flowering. Why should I when I finally got a flower that enjoyed my care?!
I felt lucky every time I looked at it, because I knew I gave that little flower a really luxury lifetime. It lived like a princess in that pot with good nutritious soil and with space enough to really bloom out and show it's best shape. I think it got the life I myself would have been longing for if I would have been a flower.

No comments: